You must have a purpose or “Personal Legend” (see “The Alchemist”, found in the bookstore), the easiest way to find this purpose is to define what in life it is that you stand for and just if not more importantly WHAT YOU WILL NOT STAND FOR. These are what we call Core Values, click here to read ours.
“If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything!”
-Al B Sylk
Setting S.M.A.R.T Goals is the best way I have personally found to stay on track and achieve what I want and am looking to achieve, so without any more blah blah blah, here is the what S.M.A.R.T. stands for:
- Specific – Clear definition, be sure you answer “the why?” as well and it is inline with your core values/beliefs.
- Measurable – How will you know when you have achieved this? Envision and start to FEEL what it will be like when this becomes a reality.
- Attainable (yet challenging) – If is too easy it will not be enough of a challenge to motivate, if it’s too hard it becomes intimidating!
- Realistic – Use each goal a step like on a ladder and climb your way up!
- Time Specific – The best way to sum this up is by quoting “a goal without a deadline is just an idea”
Any goal you have you should be able to fit and be defined by each of those categories.
Doing this not once, but on a constant basis has been the best way I have found to keep myself on track.
Be S.M.A.R.T. about it!